Monday, November 28, 2022

Jude Bayton


 THE SECRET OF JACARANDA


Welcome Jude Bayton to Book Treasure Tuesday!


Introduction
 
I’m Jude Bayton, and I’m originally from Kingston-Upon-Thames, near London, in the county of Surrey. I was an army brat, and got to live in Africa, Germany, Yemen, Scotland and Wales.

I now live in Oklahoma. My husband and I have four sons between us, three grandsons and one granddaughter. We also have a very spoiled Blue Heeler named Scout.


My latest book was released on October 15th – it’s called The Secret of Jacaranda and it is the fifth book in my Secret set.

My Secret books are all Historical Mysteries set in Europe and the current book is set in British East Africa. They are in the Gothic style of Victoria Holt, Daphne du Maurier and Phyllis Whitney, all favourites of mine.

Although my subject matter covers many topics, the books are clean.

Genre: Historical Mysteries
Heat Level: Clean


Where everyone has a Secret to keep…

Under the threat of imminent imprisonment, Julia Rossington escapes England and flees to East Africa, where a new job and a better life may await. Living at Jacaranda, a farm owned by intriguing Nick Fleming, Julia embraces her role as nanny to a motherless baby. Life in the wild African bush brings Julia contentment, spoiled only by the open hostility of Nick’s beautiful housekeeper, who fiercely guards the memory of Nick’s murdered wife, Amelia.

The African continent is in uproar. The Boer War rages in South Africa, and ivory and diamonds are smuggled to distant shores as the grip of the British Empire falters. When a member of Julia’s community is murdered, speculation is that Amelia Fleming’s killer is still at large. But Julia has greater concerns, when a face from the past unexpectedly arrives in the area and threatens to expose Julia’s true reason for leaving England. 

The killer strikes again, with Jacaranda coming under direct attack. Julia wants to stop running away. This promising new life is something worth fighting for. Yet standing her ground will inevitably make her a target, placing her squarely in the path of danger. Ultimately Julia will learn the hardest lesson of all—Survival.*

Excerpt
 
His eyes settled on me, and I was struck by how handsome I found him. The dark, brooding manner intrigued me more than I cared to admit. I was forgetting myself.

He shrugged. “I feel it my moral duty to look out for you. You are naïve about the way of life here. It is far different than anything you’ve experienced. This country changes people. Most of us are not who others think we are. Herr Schmitt is no exception.”

“If that’s true, then who are you, Nick?”

His gaze still held mine, and the atmosphere between us suddenly felt charged with tension. His expression softened momentarily, and his eyes were silver in the gaslight. I could almost hear him think as his countenance underwent a myriad of subtle changes. Was he choosing how honest he was prepared to be with me? Could he remove that solid barrier forcing people away?

Then the mask slipped back into place, and the moment was gone.
 
The Secret of Jacaranda is available in eBook and Print
Amazon

Research Tidbits

 

There was a lot! Though I lived in Africa, I was a child, with a child’s memories. This helped the book seem authentic, but I had to check on many facts about the culture, and of course use the native language, Swahili, throughout the story.

One interesting tidbit was the discovery of a famous American named Frederick Burnham. He was an adventurer who also had a distinguished military career, and was hired by Queen Victoria to aid the British in South Africa during the Boer War.

Interview Questions

 

 
1.
Do deadlines help or hinder your muse?

 

I find that deadlines do help me with self-discipline. It is so easy to get distracted by life, family and chores! But I will focus when I know I’m short on time.

2.
What’s your favorite genre to read?
 
My favourite genre to read is mystery. Historical is my favourite, but I love contemporary too. I am partial to stories set in Europe because I can identify with them so much.

3.
What was your first published work and when was it published?

 

My first book was published in 2020 by the Wild Rose Press. It is called, The Secret of Mowbray Manor.

Social Media / Contact
 
Learn about all of Jude’s books on her website, and also her author page on Amazon.

Thank you for spending time with Jude and me today! Check your email next time on Book Treasure Tuesday!

Hugs~
Maxine
Award-Winning Author
RED RIVER CROSSING: Men of the Double K 2019 IDA Winner—Historical Novel
ELIZABETH: Widows of Blessings Valley 2019 IDA Finalist—Inspirational
THE MARSHAL’S BRIDE 2017 IDA Finalist—Short Historical

AUDIOBOOKS: Audiobook Cinema / Amazon / Kobo / Chirp

SUMMER RELEASE: HANNAH’S DISCOVERY

NEW THIS HOLIDAY SEASON: GINGERBREAD INN

  

6 comments:

  1. Wow, what an interesting concept. Sounds like a great addition to a fascinating series!
    Good luck and God's blessings
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love historical mysteries and this one sounds terrific. Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning! Great post Maxine and Jude. I've read all five of Jude's Gothic Novels. Every single time I say "oooohhh, this is my favorite", but I think Jacaranda really is. Maybe it's the mystery of Africa, the animals, or the culture. I don't know, but I loved it.
    Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed the post!! Jude's books are amazing!! I'm a huge fan. Congrats on another wondeful novel!

    ReplyDelete